Monday, September 12, 2011

Yellowstone Experience

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I've been busy blogging on my Mountains Rule Blog about my trip to Yellowstone National Park. I'm finally finished, so take a look if you are interested! These photos are just a sample of what you will see. Above is the Grand Pristmatic Spring, the third largest hot spring in the world measuring 370 feet in diameter. The colors come from pigmented bacteria in the microbial mats around the pool. The temperature averages 160 degrees F and discharges 560 gallons of water a minute. It's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen!



Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone and Yellowstone Falls.




Grizzly Bear on Dunraven Pass.




And of course, the American bison (buffalo).

3 comments:

Janie said...

Fascinating colors in the pool. I don't think I've seen that one.

Jacob said...

Lois has been to Yellowstone, but not me. An amazing place, for sure. Love your photos, too. Were you really that close to a Grizzly? Yikes!

Lisa Wilson said...

We were a good distance from the grizzly. He was across the street on the hillside and there were at least 100 people watching him.