Saturday, January 1, 2011

Theme Day: Photo of the year 2010

It's the first Theme Day of 2011! My favorite photo of 2010 was of the Lewis Mine, which required a fun 8-mile hike that my family and I took in July. Lewis Mine is above Bridal Veil Falls in the Bridal Veil basin. The Lewis Mill was built in 1907 and is said to be one of the most intact examples of historic mining sites in the state. Since it is so remote and only accessible by foot (4 miles from the trailhead), most everything has been left alone up there. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2001, the mill was restored by a State Historical Fund grant and the materials used were flown to the site by helicopter. The elevation at the mine is 12,448 feet above sea level.


Part of the fun for me in looking back over 2010's photos was bringing up the memories that were made while taking them. Here are a few more of my favorites from the year.




I hope everyone has a wonderful 2011!! Here's to another year of blogging!

Click here to view thumbnails for all participants

14 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

It is a good thing that the mine is so remote that it has been left along and preserved. Your additional photos were a bonus. THank you, and happy new year

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

great image and what a hike to get there. thank for sharing. Happy New Year's! Have a great day with family and friends.

Jacob said...

I tried to pick a favorite and gave up! I like 'em all!

But that first shot is fantastic. I remember the first time I saw it I thought the same thing. Your other photos are also excellent!

Re your comment about 2000...I think "everyone" thought the world was coming to an end except you and me...and now some of the same morons are saying the same about 2012 because they believe nonsense about a Mayan calender which has been misinterpreted!

Have a great 2011, Lisa!

Randy said...

That would be a wonderful hike to do one day. Nice choice for theme day. Happy New Year!

Tricia said...

They're all so beautiful, but I see why the mine would be your fave! The history alone is awesome, but the looks of that place is double awesome!!! =)

Tricia said...

PS I had already seen your 'Winter in Telluride' video, but not the Summer one, OHHH BEAUTIFUL! =)

Sharon said...

You have way too many beautiful shots to choose from but these are fantastic. Happy New Year.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» wishes you all the best in this New Year!

Tamera said...

It's a great photo, and well worth the effort! I've never seen it photographed from this perspective. Lisa your pictures of Telluride make me want to go there -- such a beautiful place to live, lucky you!

Steffe said...

They all look good to me.

Buck said...

Love how suddenly the structure seems to pop out of the landscape. They are all wonderful.

JM said...

Now this is a great photo selection, but my favourite is the top shot. Love that wooden structure and its location.
All the best in 2011, Lisa!

Pedro D. H. said...

You did great on 2010. Keep going!

Just a tip, there is a problem on the layout, "Winter in Telluride" and "Summer in Telluride" topics are over the photos.

see ya! :D

EG Wow said...

The mine photo is fantastic! I can see why you like it.