Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Lewis Mine

On Monday we hiked to the Lewis Mine above Bridal Veil Falls in the Bridal Veil basin. The Lewis Mill was built in 1907 and is said to be one of the most intact examples of historic mining sites in the state. Since it is so remote and only accessible by foot (4 miles from the trailhead), most everything has been left alone up there. It is on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2001, the mill was restored by a State Historical Fund grant and the materials used were flown to the site by helicopter. The elevation at the mine is 12,448 feet above sea level.

6 comments:

Snowcatcher said...

Great photos of a lovely place. You have a wonderful blog!

Halcyon said...

A really cool old building. Sounds like this was a nice hike.

Steffe said...

Wow. I'd stay there all day checking out the old buildings and taking photos!

Janie said...

That's an interesting sight, built so high and so long ago.

Jacob said...

I love this. Makes my imagination run wild. But can't quite imagine myself living here back in the "good old days." Too far to the local 7-11! Wonderful photos!

Margaret29 said...

Thank you for the pictures of Lewis Mine. I've wanted to go there since my dad told me that my grandfather worked at the mine in the early 1900's before settling in Butte, Montana and raising a family.