Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sad About Baked in Telluride

The oldest restaurant in Telluride, Baked in Telluride, burned to the ground last night. It was actually still smoldering and the firemen were still working on it when I was there on my lunch break. I heard they were able to save the sign and Jerry Greene is already talking about re-building. It's a sad day in Telluride with many people going to see the charred building, kind of like we are paying our respects. The fire has made me think about the prominent buildings that were destroyed by fire or flood in this town in the early 1900's and how it must have affected the people back then.

You can't make a trip to Telluride without having a BIT bagel or donut! They have a very large menu and we took our kids there more often than any other place in town, usually for pizza. My favorite was their avocado taco.

At this time I don't know the cause of the fire, but I thank God that no one was hurt and I'm thankful for our volunteer fire department who have been working on the site for hours now.


Smoke filled the valley for hours today.


This was the most recent BIT photo to appear on my blog. It is also in my 2010 Telluride calendar.



Here is another happier day at BIT, taken last summer on a beautiful sunny day. I guess history was made today and the rebuild will surely happen, but the old BIT will surely be missed!

9 comments:

Lois said...

It's heartbreaking, but I'm glad he is going to rebuild! I immediately thought about your most recent picture of Baked in Telluride this morning when I heard about the fire.

Hilda said...

I am so glad that no one got hurt! But if the owner is already talking about re-building, looks like the town won't have to wait long before it gets its treats from Baked in Telluride again.

Jacob said...

This is so sad! Fire is a terrible thing! Hopefully, they will rebuild bigger and better with the same wonderful menu!

Boise Diva said...

That is too bad! Keep us posted on any rebuilding plans. On a positive note - my friend sent me a box of Telluride Truffles for Valentine's Day. They are my absolute favorite chocolates! I'm featuring them on my Eat Boise blog Thursday, too...

Karen said...

I'm so sad! We LOVE Baked in Telluride. We always go by every time we're in town. My favorite is the black bean tacos. And of course the fabulous half-price donuts after 2:00! I hope they're able to rebuild soon.

Karen
Fort Worth, TX

Martha Z said...

It's always sad when a small town landmark is lost. Hopefully the rebuild will be in the spirit of the old.

B SQUARED said...

What a tragedy. Hopefully, it will come back better than ever.

Halcyon said...

I hope the rebuilding gets underway quickly. It must be hard not to have a local donut and bagel shoppe!

I am glad no one was hurt though. And I hope the cause of the fire doesn't turn out to be suspicious.

Janie said...

Always sad to see a fire. I'm glad no one was hurt.