Sunday, November 1, 2009

Theme Day: Doorways

Obviously these doorways are not in Telluride, but a couple of hours away in Mesa Verde National Park. For the City Daily Photo Theme Day, "Doorways," I chose photos of the doors in the cliff dwellings built by Ancestral Puebloans between A.D. 550 to 1300.


This cliff dwelling is appropriately named the Balcony House. The balcony in this photo is amazingly intact from so long ago.


Mesa Verde National Park is truly a magical place which I have visited many times since I was a child. It is a place rich with history and thankfully protected by the National Parks system.

9 comments:

Memphis MOJO said...

Excellent series. I can't even decide which one I like best -- all are superb.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

Great choice for the theme day of doors to show us the manner of construction of doors of 1,000 - 1,500 or so years ago. I have seen many smaller cliff dwellings in Arizona, but not Mesa Verde, which is probably the largest.

Looks like it will be a good ski season for you if the snow remains.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

Lisa, I love the first photo. a great doorway choice for theme day.

Virginia said...

I have ALWAYS wanted to visit this spot. Your photos are lovely and a great take on our theme today. Lucky you to live so close!
V

Lois said...

That's a great choice for Theme Day Lisa!

Janie said...

Mesa Verde is such a cool place. Thanks for the great pics.

Jacob said...

Perfect series for the theme. These cliff dwellings are amazing and I never tire of looking at them!

Sharon said...

I think this is perfect for theme day. These cliff dwellings are so interesting and amazing at the same time. Whenever I visit places like this I like to imagine what it must have been like to live there.

Tricia said...

Incredible place, but I didn't think anyone was allowed in there anymore. My aunt & uncle were there last summer & said they couldn't get that close inside.