Saturday, October 10, 2009

Hiking With a Gray Jay

This Gray Jay joined us on our hike for quite awhile on the Cross Mountain trail. He would hop and fly, hop and fly and didn't seem to be scared of us. I'm sure he was looking for a handout. These birds are really bad about getting into food left out at campsites. One time I accidentally left a package of hot dog buns on a picnic table and they didn't hesitate to tear into it!



He stayed with us long enough to find out we weren't going to feed him, and when he came to this snowy patch, he flew away.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

You have to admire his persistence.

Janie said...

They like to hang around and beg, but they're cute birds, nevertheless.

Boise Diva said...

What a treat to have a companion like kthat for a while.

Lois said...

What a cute little bird! Those are great shots of him Lisa, especially the second one. I have a few birds in my backyard that aren't afraid of me. They will sometimes land right on my feeder while I'm cleaning it.