Sunday, September 27, 2009

Alpenglow Treat

Once in a great while, we are treated to an awesome burst of color with an alpenglow. This is only the second time I have seen anything like this in 2 1/2 years. If you don't know what an alpenglow is, a Google search defines it as: Alpenglow (from German: Alpengl├╝hen) is an optical phenomenon. When the Sun is just below the horizon, a horizontal red glowing band can sometimes be observed on the opposite horizon.

It sounds strange, but it's true that in Telluride we look east during the sunset instead of west!


Also, something else I am excited about is tonight's premiere of The National Parks: America's Best Idea on PBS. This is a series of 6 two hour long episodes covering the history of the national parks up to 1980. I was fortunate to view three of them during the Telluride Mountainfilm Festival in May, as well as take part in Question and Answer sessions with director Ken Burns, park ranger Shelton Johnson, and photographer Quang-Tuon Luong. If you have any interest in the national parks system or personal stories of trips to the parks, don't miss it!

I also purchased the book from the series where I came across this beautiful quote from John Muir:

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while
cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

12 comments:

Lawstude said...

that is one beautiful sky. love the shot.

mbhobe said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to get back to the mountains, until then I will enjoy your photos.

Hilda said...

Beautiful!

'Alpenglow' — I like that, and I just learned a new word!

Sharon said...

Your two photos are just gorgeous. The light is amazing. And, I love that quote!

Lois said...

Stunning pictures Lisa! I will have to set my DVR to record the National Park shows too. Thanks for mentioning it and reminding me!

Lenola Daily Photo said...

Gold mountains!

splendid!

mountain.mama said...

Incredible light in the alpenglow picture!

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

Gorgeous! I suppose thats because you are surrounded by tall mountains that you get the alpine glow and sunset glow in the east? We are in a valley in the mountains, but the mountains surrounding us are not as tall as yours. We do get very early sunsets, though and darkness much earlier. lol!

I love that John Muir quote/poem. Perfect!

~Lisa

Jacob said...

I've never seen this! Thank you! And your photos are exquisite! My god, it is gorgeous!

B SQUARED said...

I have seen some of the series and they are wonderful.

Linda said...

Your post has reminded me that I really must read some of John Muir's writings. I come across plenty of quotes, and we have family membership of the John Muir Trust, but shamefully nothing beyond that.

Janie said...

Absolutely incredible photos! You were definitely in the right place at the righ time.
Darn, I missed that first PBS show. I hope I can catch up on a repeat.