Sunday, August 9, 2009

Small Colorado Mammals

One of my favorite animals in the wild here is the Yellow-bellied Marmot. They are essentially large ground squirrels living in mountainous areas at high elevations. They communicate by a loud whistle. We see lots of them on our summer Jeeping and hiking trips.

The American Pika is the smallest of the rabbit group and live in boulder fields at or above the tree line. They also communicate by whistling, but at a much higher pitch than the marmot.

8 comments:

JM said...

How cute! :-)

Lois said...

They are both so cute! I like the ears on that Pika. They both look like they have nice thick soft fur.

Jacob said...

Boy, I learn so much by hitting on your blogs! Marmot and Pika's whistling. What happens when you whistle back, I wonder?

Lisa Wilson said...

This sounds crazy, but I swear my oldest daughter has had a conversation or two with marmots. :-)

Hyperspider said...

Hi Lisa,
As always, cool photos.

I think I disagre with you that Pika's have a much higer pitch than the marmot.

My experience, is the Pika is more like a squeky toy, and the Marmot, also know as the Whistle Pig, is a high pitch whistle.

Just my thoughts. :)

Tricia said...

I've never even heard of a pika - he's a cute lil guy tho!

Janie said...

It's always a highlight of a mountain trip to see a marmot or pika. Great photos!

Abagale said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Betty

http://adoptpet.info