Friday, August 21, 2009

SkyWatch Friday: Handies Peak, Elevation 14,048 Feet

All of these photos were taken from the summit of Handies Peak, which I hiked earlier this week. It was my first 14er!! A 14er is a mountain that has a peak above 14,000 feet above sea level, and Colorado has 53 official 14ers. Handies is ranked the 10th easiest to hike, rated on the website 14ers.com, where you can find everything you need to know for hiking all of the 14ers in Colorado.

We were definitely watching the skies, but never really had any dark and dangerous clouds near us. We certainly kept a lookout for storms and lightening. When we were on the summit it even snowed on us. I should mention that not only was this my first 14er, but also the first for my daughters, ages 8 and 12. It was an experience we won't forget!
To see more beautiful skies all over the world, please visit SkyWatch Friday.

13 comments:

Pat said...

These are fantastic photos!

You must be in very good shape.

Lois said...

Congratulations Lisa! The pictures are gorgeous. I love the way the sun and shadows are hitting the mountains!

Carol said...

It's a breathtaking view from the summit of Handies Peak! These are great Skywatch photos. Congrats to your two daughters, that's quite an accomplishment.

Carol said...

Oh, I forgot to ask...How long did it take to hike to the top?

Memphis MOJO said...

Just amazing -- we live in an incredible world.

How hard is it to get your breath (so to speak) at that altitude? Are you somewhat used to it by now?

My sister and brother-in-law were at 8,000 feet in Idaho (vacation) and they could feel the difference, even at that level.

texasnascarcowgirl said...

I love Colorado! I live in the desert so mountian pictures are just wonderful to me. Very nicely done and congrats on the hike. I'll sit at the bottom and watch, thanks. hahaha

Lisa Wilson said...

It took us about 6 hours, and the hike is only 6 miles. It was hard to get up and down the steep places. I don't think any of us noticed any effects from the altitude. Living at almost 9,000 feet definitely helps.

Tricia said...

Congratulations on your 1st 14er & they girls, too! That must have been QUITE the experience, especially for them. WOW The scenery they were able to see up there had to be AMAZING!!!

Beautiful photos, as always!

Jacob said...

You hiked to 14K plus feet? And your daughters?

Yikes! You are all amazing...that's as high as Pikes Peak!

But, wow, what photos!

Kudos to all of you. I'm in awe!

Eric said...

What a great scenery, love it, well composed pictures, great colors too!!

Have a nice SWF.

Greeings from NL

Lisa Wilson said...

Yes, Jacob, we did it!! It was basically just a very steep hike to the top. Pikes Peak is rated the 8th easiest to hike. I guess the bonus for that one would be a shop with donuts and coffee at the top! Although I prefer being on a summit without a crowd or cars.

mountain.mama said...

I'm having trouble breathing and my knees hurt just thinking about climbing this peak. Good on you!

Janie said...

Beautiful views and photos. You never know what to expect, weather-wise, at that altitude. My first (and only, so far) was Vestal Peak in the San Juans, many years ago.