Monday, August 31, 2009

Back to School

Today is the first day of school for the Telluride Public Schools. Every year at the elementary school they hold a ceremony where the principal introduces the staff and sings the school song.

If you're wondering why the elementary school says "High School" above the front door, it is because this was originally the high school built in 1895. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. There is a lot of work put into keeping up the historic integrity of the building. This school holds kindergarten through third grade. The larger school at the entrance of town holds fourth through twelfth grades, which I will show you later this week. There are around 650 students in the Telluride public school system.


Most moms are relieved to send their kids back to school, but I always have mixed feelings. It is the end of our summer Jeeping, hiking and camping activities. I am happy that all three of my kids look forward to the new school year!


8 comments:

Frank said...

Lisa:

You'll think I'm nuts but I read several papers a day and bunches of magazines...just trying to soak it all in. I KNEW I had just read about Telluride but it was in SMITHSONIAN magazine, August 2009 issue. Here's the link:
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/My-Kind-of-Town-Telluride-Colorado.html

Love your town and blog. - Frank

Paty said...

going to school is not often very nice to the kids. anyway, this is a very very beautiful building! I wish all schools could look like that!

Lisa Wilson said...

That's okay, Frank! I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed an article about Telluride. Thanks! ;) That is a good one.

Lois said...

That is certainly a beautiful old school building. The kids went back to school here last week and I have been enjoying taking my grandson to kindergarten every morning!

Jacob said...

As a former teacher, I love these old, solid buildings that have some character! Thankfully, they've preserved this and are caring for it!

I think that's pretty cute, gathering and singing the school song!

Janie said...

I was always a little sorry to send my kids back to school, too.
What better way to create a sense of history than to start the kids to school in a hundred year old building. I'm glad to hear the city has chosen to preserve it.

Sandy said...

My son's middle school has almost 1,600 kids and the building isn't nearly as large as yours appears. We have more than 135,000 kids in our school system. 650 students for an entire school system sounds like a dream!

Linda said...

Very mixed feelings here - I don't work in the summer so that I can see more of my teenage kids. I love being outside, so back to school (and now university for my son) for them means back to the office for me :-(. Still, my daughter's happy to be back, and son is looking forward to new things. I never get it why some mums punch the air with joy when their kids go back to school - I spend the first few days at work missing the company of mine.