Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tomboy Bride

My favorite exhibit at the Telluride Historical Museum is for the Tomboy Bride, the book written by Harriet Backus of her experiences living in mining camps, specifically in the town of Tomboy up in Savage Basin above Telluride at over 11,000 feet in elevation. I have taken many pictures of this area driving through headed over Imogene Pass. The museum was originally a miner's hospital, and Harriet gave birth to her first child there, which was also the first child born in that hospital.

9 comments:

B SQUARED said...

It's so hard to believe people survived winters back then. I'm sure many didn't.

Lois said...

That really is a good book and a wonderful love story too!

~Cheryl said...

God bless strong women!

Memphis MOJO said...

I bet life was really tough back then and I bet the book is great.

Memphis MOJO said...

And amen to ~Cheryl's comment.

Janie said...

That would've been quite an experience, being one of the few women in a mining camp. sounds like an interesting book and exhibit.

mountain.mama said...

Have you ever been to South Pass City, Wyoming? It was a silver mining town and a lot of it has been restored, it's fascinating and equally astonishing how people survived in such harsh winters.

Michele said...

Gosh, this historical story sounds really quite interesting. I could only imagine the bitterly cold temperatures and the snow blizzards and then just being so alone out there in a mountain area... yeh, I think this would be an interesting book to read. What an incredible woman to say the least.

Lisa Wilson said...

I haven't been there, Mountain Mama, but it sounds like my kind of place!