Sunday, March 15, 2009

Telluride 1982

My parents came across this photo recently and mailed it to me. It was taken by my dad in 1982. I honestly don't remember this vacation. I plan to re-create this photo if I can find the exact spot where Dad was standing. Nothing looks familiar to me except for the mountains and the elementary school in the distance on the left side of the road. We spent a lot of time in the town of Ouray on summer vacations and would only drive over to Telluride for a little while, so it isn't likely we have very many more photos. Those were the days when you were careful how many pictures you took so you wouldn't run out of film before you got home. Maybe I should search through my grandparents' photos sometime.

7 comments:

Sharon said...

Isn't it fun to go through those old photos?

Alpine Paradise said...

That is a tough one, I would bet that is on the corner of Mahoney near the circle, but I would not bet much. It is amazing how much has changed, I remember getting gas at a station "in town" like some where across from the visitors center. But now I have no idea where it was. I have done some what I call then and again photos using shots from the 1800's and trying to recreate them today like John Fidler(sp?) did, but they are usually of a major land mark that is still around so it is easier. Good Luck

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

Old photos are great and so different than how things look today sometimes. BTW, I am glad you are enjoying the Chihuly art on my website. I am going to continue to post more over time and intersperse the Chihuly eye candy with the desert, interesting cactus, resorts, special events and other photos.

Jacob said...

Nothing like old photos. And yes, you should search before they somehow disappear.

I've still got lots of photos from my parents which were taken back in the 20s and 30s. Most of the pictures show somebody standing by a car with a flat tire. A tire went flat about every hundred miles and so they'd pile out and take a photo.

Pretty funny. One photo shows them on the way up to Pikes Peak...the first time I was ever there...Oh, I wasn't born yet, but close.

Tricia said...

Oh I hope you can find the spot - that's always fun to see then & now pics! I've done that a couple of time! Very cool!!

DaveO said...

That looks like the west end of town, where the roundabout area is now. There used to be a Texaco gas station in the vicinity too. Telluride was just a town similar to Ouray, with a cheap-to ski area back then. And the Plunge was reknowned as one of the most steep and dangerous ski runs in the US, until the resort cut easy bailout runs across it.

D said...

That will be cool to post the current view from the same spot.