Friday, March 27, 2009

SkyWatch Friday: Missing Peak

Ajax Peak appeared to be missing it's peak earlier this week. The yellow construction area is the site of new luxury residences named Element 52. I'm very glad the red crane is not a permanent fixture. The ski run Kids Hill and the gondola are just to the right of Element 52. I think the construction has created quite an eyesore for close to a year now, but will be a beautiful place to live. I was totally focused on the sky when I took this photo, and got a little distracted by the crane!

Regarding the blizzard that has caused a state of emergency in the Denver area, for the most part everyone is safe and sound in our part of the state. We are so far southwest that we didn't really experience blizzard conditions. There were a few car wrecks but no major injuries that I've heard of so far. I guess the ski resort areas are always prepared for large amounts of snow. Denver and the rest of the Front Range received so much snow in such a short amount of time that it really crippled the cities.

To see more beautiful skies around the world, please visit SkyWatch Friday.

20 comments:

istanbuldailyphoto said...

An ideal place for skiing and seems to be resting.

Lois said...

That's a nice shot Lisa! I've seen a lot of pictures of Ajax, but none like that. It almost looks like someone came along and scooped the top off!

Louise said...

The sky and mountain are so pretty that I didn't notice the "eyesore" until I read your text!

Linnea W said...

Nice pic - it gives us an idea of what's going on in your neighborhood! Glad you're missing out on the big snow storm. You've probably had your fill of snow for the season! Sunny and warm here!

Mike said...

Just beautiful...and your blog header is lovely.

CTG Ponies said...

I didn't really notice the crane either until I looked closer.

Rob Inukshuk said...

The crane might be bit ugly, but it won't be there for too much longer and it pales next to the sky and mountains that are breathtakingly beautiful.

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Beautiful shot. Of course, as an engineer I liked studying the crane, but its not going to be there forever anyway.

Janie said...

Glad you haven't had too many snow-related problems. The storm passed us over completely.

Dewdrop said...

My, what beautiful scenery you have. SHame that they are trying to muck it up with the crane.

Barb said...

Hi Lisa,

Looks like you had some snow the past week at Telluride. I know Summit County Mountains also got quite a bit. Denver really didn't get blasted with as much as predicted. It got cold though, which can't be great for the blooming things! Right now it's sunny and the snow is melting again - back to 50's here over the weekend. The metro area needed the moisture, that's for sure. (However, I need spring!)

Carol said...

Beautiful shot of CO...I don't know if there are any bad shots where you live! I love the peek at Milk Run.

Diane C. said...

Ajax Peak really blended in with the clouds. Beautiful photo even with the crane!

Reparto corse n. 6 said...

bello!!
ciao from italy
anthony

Babooshka said...

The crane add a nice industrail touvch to a gorgeous natural scene. I still miss not having any so.

fishing guy said...

Lisa: So glad you are safe. That was a neat shot of the mountain into the clouds. I'm glad the carne is only temporary.

Tricia said...

That's a sky I love to see - I'm glad ya'll are ok & safe! I hadn't heard about the State of Emergency in Denver, but I'm fixing to check cnn.com right now!
You guys be careful & GOD Bless!

Your EG Tour Guide said...

Love the mountain and skies. Glad the snowstorm missed your area!

Marc said...

Yeah, get rid of that crane! Otherwise great picture.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

It's always kind of spooky when the peaks are missing. It's such a regular part of the landscape it jst feels weird not to see it.
Kind of like when Mt St Helens blew apart the top of it's peak. Whew! Must have been creepy for a long time, to everyone living within sight of it.

I'm glad you all are ok up there.

~Lisa