Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Friendly Porcupine

On an earlier post I mentioned the area of the Lynx lift was a common place to see porcupines, and that I had never seen one in the wild. I was ecstatic when I skied upon one on a run near the Lynx lift area this week! I really didn't mean to disturb his day and I don't think people should get close to wildlife, but this guy was so friendly and obviously used to being fed by humans. If this had been say a bear or elk, I definitely would NOT get this close.
This is a short video of the porcupine approaching me and trying to climb up my leg. Someone said that before I skied up to him, a man had been laying on the ground and let the porcupine walk all over him, so I was pretty sure he wasn't going to bite or stick me with his quills. I wish my video was longer, but I was really nervous and trying not to freak out.

video

Also, I have to say what an honor it has been to be invited to be a part of the new Telluride Insider blog for PlumTV.com. I was a little suspicious when I received the invitation via e-mail from the editorial team last week, but it is definitely legitimate! Apparently they found me on Twitter and liked both my Mountains Rule and my Telluride Daily Photo blogs. My very first blog entry has been posted on their website today and you can see it HERE.

At times like this I am reminded of how far I've come with photography and creating blogs. The reason I first bought a digital camera was to sell a bunch of stuff on eBay. This was when we lived in Oklahoma before we started looking into moving to Telluride. When I first started posting photos and blogs, I had no idea what I was doing, and sometimes I still feel that way, but it has turned into a great hobby. I love showing people the places and things we've seen and done. I'm not sure why, but the increased blog traffic makes me a little nervous and excited all at once. I'm always open to questions and suggestions and I feel very humbled that I have blog followers that visit on a regular basis. Thank you to all of my blog viewers and thank you to PlumTV!!

17 comments:

Steffe said...

Looks like you have a new friend!

Lois said...

I showed your video to everyone in my office Lisa and they all agreed with me that you are very brave!

B Squared said...

Cool! Close Encounters!

the7msn said...

Yikes! But how cool! Glad the story had an uneventful ending. Wonder if quills would penetrate ski pants?

Tricia said...

I think you got yourself a new boyfriend! hehehe He's really cute, but I'd be like you - What Do I DO??? I've never seen one in the wild either & always thought they were mean - but he sure isn't!!! Great post!!!

Just M said...

Now that's too crazy! I think I would have been a bit freaked out as well...

EcoRover said...

I had to come back just to see this friendly porcupine person once more. I've heard them howl while mating in the spring--most people think they're hearing bobcats or lions.

BTW, ever read Pynchon's Against the Day?--some good references to Telluride back in the IWW days.

Memphis MOJO said...

I know this word is overused, but: Awesome!

Lisa Wilson said...

I haven't read Against the Day. I'll have to look for it!

JM said...

This is fantastic! He's so cute! He's definitely not afraid of humans, hope he will not regret it...

Jacob said...

You have come a very long way! Congrats! And these photos confirm it. Great shots of this little character who seems to have no fear of humans. Most interesting.

Sharon said...

What a cute little guy. I didn't know they could be so freindly.

Congratulations on the PlumTV honor! Very nice indeed.

Dewdrop said...

How very cool is that?!

Brit' Gal Sarah said...

LOL at the commentary, you are brave! And congrats on the PlumTV gig!

Marc said...

What an adorable creature. The video really put a smile on my face. :-)

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

lol! That is so freakin' cool! I got a kick out of you asking, "Umm..what do I do?" You're so brave!
And lucky, too! :)

Congrats on your invitation from Plum TV. How exciting :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

D said...

Congrats on being so famous!
But mostly on being cool enough not to run screaming at the sight of a porcupine! He looks friendly, but very prickly too.
Great post.