Thursday, January 1, 2009

Theme Day: Best photo of the year 2008

My best and favorite photo of the year was of Bridal Veil Falls on August 6. I have copied the exact post here.

Bridal Veil Falls, just east of Telluride, the highest cascade waterfall in Colorado with water falling 365 feet. The hydroelectric power plant at the top of the falls was built in the early 1900's to provide electricity to mining operations in the mountains above Telluride. The building is now registered as a National Historic Landmark, but is on private property.


I am unable to re-create my photo this time of year because of the snow. In the photo below, Bridal Veil Falls is in the center. For the first time in decades, the falls are open for expert only ice climbing this winter. A deal was made between the county, a private land trust and the mining company that owns the land around the waterfall.




Just for fun, I have included one black and white shot.

12 comments:

Ms. Hays said...

I have no idea what photos you posted in 2008, but these photos are absolutely gorgeous!!! I love them! Great Job!!!

And Happy Happy New Year To You too!!!

Ms. Hays said...

Very nice - I like the different angles! I thought someone actually built a house & lived up there! Could you imagine?!?!!

Lois said...

Beautiful pictures! Happy New Year Lisa!

Marc said...

Another impressive shot. Happy New Year to you and your family Lisa!

Carrie Hayes said...

These are amazing shots, love the blog! Happy New Year!!

Hyde DP said...

The b&w version is by far the best - it brings out the countours and contrast most effectively.

Buck said...

Wow, beautiful!

lachezar said...

Wow, this image is not for the fainthearted! Happy New Year and many thanks for your kind comment! Have a great one! Cheers!

Memphis MOJO said...

Wonderful shots, love your blog. HNY!

Tash said...

I do remember this stunning photo! You had a lot of great photos to choose from - all those beautiful aspens & mountain vistas. Lisa, wishing you and yours a very Happy 2009! Hope you'll let me know when you come this way.

bitingmidge said...

Great shots!

I hope you have a fantastic 2009!

Sunshine Coast Daily - Australia

Joan said...

Absolutely beautiful! Wow.